Saturday, October 07, 2006

May as well be made of rope

Ties. I fucking hate ties. What is the point? Seriously! This was what I was thinking to myself as I was standing on the train all the way to work yesterday morning. I tried to do some research on the origins of ties, hoping that there might be some interesting quirk in there somewhere. But even that was boring beyond all belief, so I gave up.

My hatred of ties has gone back to schooldays, when we were forced to wear ties. Yes, even at Primary School. 5 and 6 year old children forced to wear ties. How sick is that? Though obviously it was fun taking the piss off the thick kids who had those ones with elastic (rather, of course than the far more sophisticated alternative of your mum tying it for you every morning!).

From the age of 18 I vowed not to wear a tie ever again, and aside from job interviews and the odd wedding or funeral I have stuck to this more often than not. I have steadfastly refused to wear a tie to work. It works out fine for me, but that doesn't stop me hating ties on others, and other tie-wearers!

Going back to that journey to work. You see a lot of people on the way to work, and lots of them wear ties. I don't have a problem with this of course. They might be in jobs where they have to (which is the fault of the company's small-mindedness and general pathetic views that people get more respect when wearing ties). The people I have a problem with are the following.
1. People with novelty ties
2. People who wear their ties hanging round their necks, undone.

The first of these are obviously wankers. Usually very dull men aspiring to be seen as fun. Wanting to be the 'office joker'. These people aren't worth talking about really so I'll leave it there.

The second lot are worse. These are usually young people working in banks. They have to wear a tie but at the same time don't want to be seen as corporate whores. They refuse to stand up to their employer by admitting that they hate wearing ties, but they want to appear cool by walking to work not wearing the tie. If you see these people, just think of a big city office block and then an alleyway a few hundred yards away full of young men desperately putting on ties before their boss notices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home