Thursday, October 12, 2006

I aint no quitter!

I am a smoker. Since the age of around 15/16 I have smoked. Thats a commitment of over 10 years. Pretty impressive I am sure you will agree. I have been smoking longer than I have been in any job, any educational establishment or been with any woman.

Being an adult I realise the dangers of smoking. I hear about them on the news, I read in the papers, I read about them on fag packets themselves and, irritatingly, I hear about them from people. Over and over again. As if I have never heard it before.

Why do people feel the need to tell me about my health? I'm not bothering them. I don't walk up to a fatty in the street and tell them about the dangers of eating too much do I? So why is it okay for non-smokers (particularly the worst offenders of them all - the ex-smoker!) to tell me about the health risks of smoking as if I have never heard it before?!

A few points if I may.
First, yes smoking obviously isn't good for you. We know.
Second, it isn't illegal. Smoking weed is, yet somehow its okay to talk about legalising this, even though its even LESS good for you and makes anyone who smokes it extremely tedious
Third, someone please explain to me how smoking makes people infertile (as the warnings claim). Birth rates are down on what they were in, say, 1950, when everyone smoked. It clearly didn't make them infertile did it?
Fourth, the country cannot afford for smokers to give up. The tax we pay is valuable for Britain.
People of London, I call on you to Smoke and Smoke For Britain! Hurrah!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will smoke to that,

LondonJack

7:01 PM  
Blogger Richard Wells said...

Glad to hear it Jack. Let the smoking revolution begin!

8:44 PM  
Blogger ChiefMoaner said...

Fair enough Ria. Obviously I have nothing against people giving up. Good luck with your quest!

I'd be interested to know what causes people to change from decent calm smokers to appalling preaching health Nazis though. All I can think of is a mixture of bitterness, smugness and jealousy, begging the question, is an ex-smoker ever really happy?

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home